Tyvek™ Air Cargo Covers Solar Radiation Technical Study
Evaluate the performance of common single use wraps and thermal covers/blankets to determine their ability to protect perishables and temperature sensitive products from temperature excursions during a tarmac delay, when products are subject to solar radiation.
- Test samples – Low thermal mass1 euro sized pallets, each protected with a different cover
- Pallet configuration – 18 empty 15” x 15” x 15” boxes stacked 3W x 2D x 3H
- Covers tested – Tyvek® low emissivity cover, metallized bubble wrap pre-formed cover, and film based stretch wraps (clear, white & black).
- Temperatures measured at top center, south face center, & top southwest corner (hot spots)
- Test conducted at weather station in Florida, March 2013.
- Full sun exposure with ambient high temperature of 32°C (90°F).
- Solar energy measured at 26° north latitude per ASTM G7.
- Solar wattage data when clouds obscured sun not shown to remove noise from graph.