Warehouse Operations Manager – Complete Genomics – Mountain View, CA, USA
Responsible for managing and developing direct reports: Shipping / Receiving Clerks, Material Control Specialists, and Material Handlers. Responsible for further development of outsourced inventory management services. Drive continuous improvement in warehousing operations. Partner with Lab Operations to offload material handling duties, enabling them to focus on production goals and improve inventory accuracy. Partner with Development to meet logistics requirements for incoming and outgoing material. Define solutions for optimizing existing constrained space and any additional space needed to satisfy long-term scale-up plans. Additional responsibilities include supporting material related activities as designated by the Purchasing Director.
Failure to perform the essential functions of this job may lead to or result in: lost production capacity, poor production efficiency, poor use of cash flow, and poor relationships with internal customers and external suppliers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop staff to continuously improve skills and experience.
- Increase scope of work outsourced to inventory management service provider and manage performance to expectations.
- Oversee development and drive best practices in the cycle counting program.
- Develop short-term and long-term plans to assure adequate space to meet capacity plans.
- Improve transaction accuracy.
- Collaborate with Lab Operations to develop solutions to inventory accuracy challenges.
- Maintain and improve all Supply Chain policies and procedures.
- Develop control systems to assure inventory accuracy and availability.
- Maintain cross-training program to assure highly-qualified backups for every function.
- Maintain training records and compliance with re-training schedule.
- Improve operational efficiency to enable cost-effective scale-up.
- Establish partnership with external Logistics Providers to meet logistics needs.
- Responsible for Denied Parties Screening on daily international shipments and monthly screening of customer list.
- Perform other work related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five years of experience in managing warehouse operations and direct reports in a high-tech environment, preferably in life sciences, biotech or pharma.
- Experience driving large improvements in inventory accuracy.
- Implementation of Process Excellence, LEAN and 5S principles highly desirable.
- Ability to develop strategies and solutions to meet long-term needs and effectively present to all levels of management.
- Deep knowledge of ERP warehouse management functionality with the goal of transitioning to an automated warehousing solution (e.g. bar-coding solutions, WMS). Develop the proposed solution, present ROI, and follow through to implementation, while insuring ongoing support, maintenance, and continuous improvement.
- Experience converting between two warehouse management systems.
- Relevant experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Relevant experience in Import and Export, including Dangerous Goods.
- IATA certification a plus.
- Familiar with Google Mail, Google Docs, Microsoft Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint.
- Ability to easily comprehend and convert between different physical units of measure.
- Oracle experience a major plus.
- Design of Warehouse/Distribution center layout for optimal material flow and process development.
- Knowledgeable with Cold Chain shipping.