US Import/Export Specialist, NA Commercial Logistics – Biogen – Cambridge, MA, USA
Biogen is experiencing significant growth in the global market place across our highly complex portfolio of products. Given the demand and our pursuit of innovation, there is a need for additional Trade and Logistics expertise reporting in to the NA Commercial Logistics team based in Cambridge, MA. The role is intended to support Biogen’s North America import/export and domestic transportation activities including internal and external material movements, development and introduction of transportation lanes, shipping solutions, and business process improvements. The incumbent is expected stay current in US Trade Laws and Customs Regulations as well as Biogen’s internal standard. Responsible for ensuring shipments comply with federal and foreign regulations. In addition, may provide timely import and export classifications under the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN), Harmonized Tariff Schedule and Schedule B and contribute to Country of Origin determination. Assists in maintaining and periodically reviewing classification database to resolve any discrepancies.
The successful candidate will as necessary:
1) Effectively manage logistics, order-to-cash and compliance activities to ensure sustainable supply and optimize the overall logistics costs.
2) Leverage the Global Supply Chain systems/technology (e.g., ERP System, Trackwise) required to execute job functions.
3) Primary interface and subject matter expert on operational matters concerning import to or export from the United States.
4) Ensures Biogen is maintaining proper records related to import and export activities.
5) Negotiate fees and approve payments of invoices from US Customs and other government agencies as well as Biogen’s broker.
6) Provide broker clearance instructions and required documentations for imports.
7) Responsible for maintaining current certifications/permits
8) Arranges for global transportation and prepares accurate documentation to ensure on time, damage free compliance and cost effective delivery of goods
9) Apply knowledge of regional and global logistics, order-to-cash, and the end-to-end value chain to support and facilitate alignment between operational functions and achieve optimal service and cost while maintaining compliance and product integrity.
10) Leverage knowledge of relevant compliance and regulatory requirements, tax considerations and network design to identify and recommends strategies to deliver on new product and network requirements.
11) Collaborate and facilitate cross-functionally to resolve logistics issues, gain alignment, and develop recommendations for maintaining compliance and customer service requirements
12) Transparently surfaces network issues, resolving network conflicts and identifying long term capabilities and strategies to optimize business value.
Cambridge, MA, US
Supply Chain, Global Operations
1) A current U.S. CBP issued Customs Broker License is preferred. 2) Ideal candidate will have 5-7 years relevant industry experience, including controlled temperature (cold-chain) logistics of cGMP regulated materials. 3) Solid knowledge of customs regulations including knowledge of drawbacks, HTS classification Temporary Import Under Bond (TIB) requirements, royalties and assists 4) Excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills 5) Strong customer focus including timely follow up and sense of urgency
Bachelor’s degree and at least 3-5 years in an import/export position, or 2 years with Master’s degree in Science, Engineering, Business, Finance or Supply Chain.
Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) is a biotechnology leader that discovers, develops and delivers innovative therapies to improve the lives of patients with neurodegenerative diseases, hematologic conditions and autoimmune diseases. Patients worldwide benefit every day from our medicines for multiple sclerosis (MS) and hemophilia.
Founded in 1978, Biogen is the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Our development pipeline is focused on areas of high unmet medical need, as we pursue new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with few or no treatment options. These include programs for secondary progressive MS, Alzheimer’s Disease, spinal muscular atrophy, lupus and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), amongst others.
With approximately 7,500 people worldwide, Biogen is truly a global organization. We are headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is home to our research operations. Our international operations are based in Zug, Switzerland and we have world-class manufacturing facilities in North Carolina and Denmark. We offer therapies globally through direct affiliate presence in 30 countries and a network of distribution partners in over 50 additional countries.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.