Test Engineer – Westpak, Inc. – San Diego, CA, USA
A test engineer conducts package and product testing according to industry standards and customer protocols. Customer service and integrity of test data is paramount. She/he shall be aligned with and support the overall goals and objectives of the entire company and actively provide input and support throughout the company. Ensures Westpak is represented in a positive manner.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform beginning to intermediate testing duties according to applicable industry or customer standards.
- Safety of oneself, customers and colleagues is paramount in all functions.
- Ensure customer objectives are met through proactive communication, documentation and customer service.
- Use good laboratory practices for all work.
- Assess laboratory conditions for safety and cleanliness.
- Improve work surroundings and suggest process improvements to management.
- Conduct testing with integrity and accountability.
- Follow Westpak quality processes and procedures while minimizing non-conformance occurrences.
- Continually seek to learn new testing methodologies.
- Uphold client non-disclosure agreements at all times.
- Compile accurate customer data into Westpak reports.
- Complete training program as instructed and in a timely manner.
- Maintain positive internal and external customer service relationships.
- Review work load and prioritize work to ensure customer requirements are consistently met.
- Participate in various departmental and interdepartmental meetings or training as required.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- B.S. Degree or equivalent experience in packaging, engineering or similar field
- 1-3 years of customer service experience
- Knowledge of basic tools (torque wrench, drill, etc.)
- Ability to work 40-45 hours per week. Work starts at 7:00am
- Professional appearance
- Avid user of technology who keeps up with the latest tech trends
- Ability to quickly compose clear and concise answers verbally and via email
- Friendly, patient and professional demeanor
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as protocols, industry specifications and procedures
- Possess a strong work ethic and a high level of professionalism
- Exhibit motivation, dependability, punctuality, organization skills, and be detail-oriented
- A team player who handles multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and general computer literacy
- Math skills: Ability to calculate as to help understand integrals and more complex testing (Fast Fourier Transfer, Shock Response Spectrum, etc.) as well as basic algebra, statistics and geometry.
- English skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as customer protocols, industry standards, training modules, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or colleagues.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Able to be present & punctual, with minimal absences
- Able to sit/stand for long periods of time
- Able to bend, stoop, or climb into chambers
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Driving of forklift and pallet jack
- Use of power tools, hand tools, hydraulic devices, mechanical fans, industrial power, refrigerants, and other devices which can be hazardous to life and limb if not properly operated. May involve exposure to high levels of noise when conducting some tests. Ear protection and foot protection is to be worn appropriately.
- Perform duties in compliance with applicable regulatory body requirements as well as standards including, but not limited to, ISO 9001, 14001 & 17025.
Safety – WESTPAK, Inc. enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
Quality – Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the WESTPAK, Inc. Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable WESTPAK, INC. Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
Procedure Compliance – Each employee must read, understand and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures and policies pertaining to his/her job per ISO 9001, 14001 & 17025.
- You take ownership and accountability in your individual performance and that of your team
- You display and inspire a culture of excellence with your peers and leadership
- You learn rapidly and are eager to develop skills and knowledge that align with the team’s goals
WESTPAK, INC . is a premier package and product test lab located in San Diego, CA. With 55 employees and two locations, we serve clients nationwide and around the world. The company serves key markets including life sciences, military & aerospace, consumer goods, reliability, supply-chain, hazardous materials, solar, cold chain and materials analysis. WESTPAK, INC. provides a blend of local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects.
More information on WESTPAK, INC. and its services can be found at www.WESTPAK.com.
WESTPAK, INC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
WESTPAK, Inc. provides paid vacation, holidays, health benefits and a great working environment! Our team members are a part of our Westpak family.
Compensation for this position is $50-70K/annual depending on attitude and experience.
- Testing, engineering or similar field: 1 year