Supervisor, Lab – Jarden Corporation – Huntington Beach, CA, USA
As a leader on the R&D team, the Laboratory Supervisor ensures successful operation of the Huntington Beach Technical Center located in Huntington Beach, CA. The individual will play a key role in the organization by creating a positive environment for West Coast customers and Jarden Life Sciences sales team to find cost effective packaging solutions. The Huntington Beach test lab will serve as a highly-efficient test lab with fast throughput of testing projects, but also as the source for our innovation and new products.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
1. Manage the operation and upkeep of the thermal testing lab.
- Maintain schedule of thermal testing for key customers and internal research projects.
- Provide regular updates to customers, sales reps, and corporate headquarters.
- Create and update detailed timelines for the completion of thermal testing projects.
- Publish test results through email, presentations, and final reports.
- Remain current on technology through research and training.
- Manage the budget of the lab including materials and maintenance.
- Sustain the ISTA certification of the thermal test lab.
- Maintain lab instruments and thermal chambers through both preventive actions, i.e. preventive maintenance, and Corrective actions, i.e., troubleshooting.
2. Supervise on-site staff of engineers and technicians.
- Supervise the day-to-day activities for one or more staff.
- Conduct performance reviews and set annual goals
- Develop and train engineers to be future leaders in the organization.
- Create career development plans within the lab staff.
3. Take actions to ensure a high-quality lab that generates repeatable and trustworthy data.
- Prepare lab for customer audits, work with quality department to ensure excellent results.
- Develop and execute validation plans for testing equipment.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement within lab documentation and practices.
- Develop innovative methods to conduct testing using limited resources.
4. Be a leader in the organization.
- Take a leadership role and model key success behaviors of communication, teamwork, accountability, and results-focus.
- Raise level of understanding across organization of our innovation possibilities.
- Be an advocate for diversity, for creating culture of winning, and for compliance with key processes used to govern the business.
5. Live the company values on a daily basis.
6. Pose no direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, or other or to property. Defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
7. Perform such individual assignments as management may direct.
8. Establish and maintain, as stated above, effective working relationships within the department, the corporation and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering, Quantitative Analysis or equivalent. Significant and applicable work experience can be considered in lieu of four-year degree.
Requires 3-5 years of prior experience, preferably in lab management/Testing with a track record of advancement.
Package testing knowledge is preferred. This role is specific to our Thermal packaging product line.
Experience in developing Test Software using LabVIEW is considered a great asset.
Working knowledge of industrial communication protocols such as Modbus is desired.
Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and other software for database tuning and configuration experience is desired.
ISTA CTP and/or CPLP certifications are preferred but not required.
TECHNICAL ROLE COMPETENCIES:
- Supervise thermal testing chambers including calibration and validation plans.
- Work well with external contacts, be comfortable reviewing testing plans and communicating directly with key customers and suppliers.
- Lead the justification and execution of lab expansion including additional test chambers and a broader scope of package testing capabilities.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the data acquisition systems and Graphical User Interfaces in all test labs.
- Results orientation and high degree of initiative, follow-through, and accountability. Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity. Commitment to completion of project plans on schedule.
- Will have a great role in streamlining the Product Development process, and in creating a tracking database for key metrics.
- Ability to utilize various personal computer programs within a LAN environment, including SolidWorks, MS Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SAP.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, as well as to analyze problems and make independent judgments to initiate corrective action and resolution.
- Proficiency in statistical / 6-Sigma techniques to drive optimization and problem resolution. Experience with designing and conducting DOE plans.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration capabilities.
- Strong task and detail orientation, awareness of urgency in communication, while displaying diplomacy in day-to-day interactions.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written. Must also develop and deliver high-impact presentations at Senior Management level.
Equal Employment Opportunity