Sr. Packaging Engineer – Abbott Laboratories – IL, USA
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The Packaging Engineering group designs, tests, and implements packaging designs that are an integral part of the organization’s Product Development process. The team also reviews and improves existing packaging designs, tests standards and guidelines for developing packaging solutions for the organization’s products. Packaging engineers work with internal resources and packaging suppliers to achieve functional packaging goals. This position reports to Sr Packaging Manager.
- Oversee and manage complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, and performance testing.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required for packaging.
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, QA, product management, operations, and sourcing.
- Participate in product introduction teams, to deliver new products to market.
- Identify and implement cost saving and sustainability initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage.
- Work closely with supply chain to optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization, standardization, supply assurance, and compliance with customer, regulatory, and internal requirements.
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging designs.
- Work with operations functions to ensure that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging exceeds internal and external customer specifications.
- B.S. Engineering or equivalent plus progressive technical experience and demonstrated competence. Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- Bachelor’s degree in packaging engineering; Advanced degree
- Packaging Material experience in corrugate/carton board, labeling/decoration, with rigid plastics and flexible films. DOT/DG Certification and Cold Chain experience a plus.
- Demonstrable proficiency in CAPE/Topps, Artios CAD, AutoCAD, and Solidworks, MS Office Suite needed.
- Experience in healthcare, medical device or pharmaceutical industry.
- Knowledge and understanding of medical device requirements (e.g. EUMDR), packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM, ISTA, DOT, IMDG, IATA etc.), drafting and specification standards
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills, orally and in writing
- Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement concepts
- ISO 9001 certification (e.g., CQA, CQE, CQIA)
- Experience in rapid prototyping
- Ability to demonstrate project management skills and experience
- Lean/6-Sigma certification a plus
Click here for more.