Specialist, Engineering – Merck – West Point, PA, USA
The basic function of this position is to design and implement varied technical projects requiring knowledge of packaging including temperature control packaging technology and distribution testing. Work requires full application of sound scientific principles, theories, concepts and techniques. The candidate is expected to collect and interpret information and conceive, develop and implement solutions to cold chain and distribution related projects. Routine guidance and direction is employed by the supervisor to review soundness of technical judgment and the status/schedule of the effort.
The candidate is responsible by assignment for the:
– Development, design, construction, qualification and/or initial operation of tertiary packaging components and processes, including environmental (temperature, shock, etc.) monitors, using new or existing technologies for new and commercial human health products.
– Analysis of complex problems through critical analytical thinking and the design/execution of laboratory experiments to design/develop appropriate temperature control and distribution solutions.
– Assist cross functional teams evaluating processes, procedures, and shipping system performance for resolving excursion issues and implementing corrective actions
– Development of sound scientific justification for planned material and process changes related to secondary and tertiary packaging.
– Development working relationship with Global Merck, external manufacturing and third part distribution centers, with whom Merck interfaces.
– Responsible for documentation preparation, maintenance, and review of documentation including testing protocols, testing reports, technical memo and supplier assessments.
– Bachelor degree in Packaging, Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or similar
– Experience in packaging design and/or temperature control technologies.
– Interpersonal and leadership skills.
– Experience and knowledge of the Pharmaceutical environment.
– Proven project leadership/ management and complex problem solving skills.
– Ability to determine areas of potential risk to business success and generate gap analysis.
– Good interpersonal skills including flexibility and ability to work in a team environment.
– Good written and verbal communication skills