Plant Manager – Lifoam – Vernon, CA, USA
Lifoam is a leading manufacturer of custom and proprietary molded foam and protective packaging solutions. Headquartered in Hunt Valley, MD, the company designs, manufactures, and distributes value added expanded polystyrene (EPS), polyurethane, and refrigerant products used in a number of applications from seven plants in the US. The company’s products include premium temperature assurance packaging for the healthcare industry, disposable foam coolers and related products for the consumer market, cold chain packaging for the specialty food & beverage market, and custom & proprietary packaging solutions for a variety of commercial end markets. Its well-known brands include “Lifoam” promotional and imprinted disposable ice chests, “Freez Pak” reusable ice substitutes, “Propak” insulated commercial packaging, and the “EnviroCooler” line of Healthcare packaging, among others.
Since 2013, Lifoam is part of Jarden Home Brands, a subsidiary of Jarden Corporation (NYSE: JAH), a leading provider of niche consumer products, with over 25,000 employees worldwide.
DESCRIPTION: Lifoam Industries is the leader of EPS foam products serving a wide range of recreational, industrial, and healthcare customers. The company has 7 plants across the United States, including one in Vernon, CA. The plant manager is responsible for all plant operations including production, purchasing, scheduling, and customer service. Working through 8-12 direct reports, the plant manager has responsibility for this 60+ person, 2 shift facility. A significant portion of this plant¿s success has been through the implementation of continuous improvement and lean manufacturing techniques.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, organize, and direct all aspects of the manufacturing, maintenance, scheduling, and purchasing operations to ensure the most effective return on assets.
- Manage spending against budget in relation to the seasonal nature of the business, and other changes in production volumes.
- Manage operations expenses in line with financial commitments to management. Accurately estimate scrap, purchases and labor and monitors expenses regularly to ensure compliance with budget. Effectively communicate budget status to management, and identifies solutions to any potential overage.
- Identify opportunities to improve costs and delivery times. Delivers on commitments. Complete financial analyses related to investment or operational strategy decisions.
- Forecast operational costs/variances and inventories versus a sale plan and ensure financial commitments are delivered. Identify gaps/risks with sufficient lead time to allow for “close the gap” plans to be developed and executed.
- Implement manufacturing strategies and action plans to ensure that the facility supports Lifoam¿s strategic objectives.
- Implement process variation in areas of responsibility and the application of Six Sigma. Lead problem solving efforts using A3 and other Six Sigma tools. Apply principles for Manufacturability principles.
- Lead and support projects using Lean principles and tools including: 5S (manufacturing and office), VSM, Kaizen, TPM, pull systems, 7 wastes and standardized work.
- Use process mapping tools effectively to identify and eliminate wastes for continuous improvement.
- Take a TPM approach to all key equipment using OEE as measure of success. Use a team approach and establish spare parts lists, preventative and predictive maintenance plans, roles/responsibilities and regular review of action effectiveness. Use SMED tools effectively and appropriately to reduce changeover related losses.
- Work with cross functional team on new product development process. Scale up the production once the new product specs are signed off for mass production.
- Ensure regulatory compliance of local, state, and federal laws.
- Manage the human resources assigned to the business to deliver key business objectives and strengthen the capabilities of direct reports.
- Identify developmental opportunities and skill set need-gaps for employees, and build plans to address them.
- Develop a clear understanding of strengths and weaknesses of overall team. Develop action plans on both an individual and group level to increase performance of the team.
- Act as a change agent to lead change and innovation within the manufacturing environment.
- Influence and lead the team to the same goal. Insure a strong team effort among the senior team in developing, implementing and achieving identified goals and objectives. Address issues across functional area, and resolve conflicts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Operations Management, or significant equivalent manufacturing experience.
- Five or more years of manufacturing experience including proven success at leading direct reports.
- Proven track record of delivering results in a high-performance continuous improvement environment using lean tools and methodologies.
- Experience leading change initiatives with change management techniques.
- Proven success working with a team to implement and audit systems that drove performance improvements in key metrics (KPI’s).
- Effective interviewing and talent evaluation skills.
- Strong meeting skills ensuring meetings are efficient and effective.
- Experience with Manufacturing Cell design, work simplification and workload balancing concepts.
- Working knowledge of safety and quality procedures in a manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of upstream and downstream processes.
- Exposure to cross-functional departments; able to effectively work within project teams involving Finance, Marketing, Supply Chain, IT, Quality, Human Resources and sales.
- Able to be assertive, responsive, and make proper and prompt decisions using fact base support.
TECHNICAL ROLE COMPETENCIES:
- Customer Oriented ¿ Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers¿ expectations, gains customers¿ trust and respect.
- Communicates effectively and candidly ¿ Communicates clearly and directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
- Achieves results through teamwork ¿ Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals.
- Leads through positive influence ¿ Demonstrates strong character; builds partnerships; models a conscious balance between work and personal life; takes personal responsibility for own development; role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion and trust.
- Leads change and innovation – Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
- Executes with excellence – Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.