The Packaging Engineer is responsible for managing all aspects of design development and testing of packages and packaging systems for the organization. Analyzes materials and proposes changes to increase efficiency and optimize use of company resources. Creates designs with specific packaging characteristics to support new development initiatives. Identifies solutions for packaging based on business concepts as well as consumer and industry knowledge.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Designs, develops, and implements all aspects of packaging for the organization, which entails material selections, component assembly, and interactions with packaging machinery.
• Establishes timelines, budget estimates, and resource requirements for package development projects and drives the projects to successful completion.
• Uses company infrastructure tools (ERP, PDM, project management, etc.) to provide status and streamlined, common work product within the group.
• Develops and evaluates the packaging requirements, capabilities and designs. Executes package development and any design transfer requirements impacting manufacturing.
• Works and communicates collaboratively with customers and internal cross-functional teams to understand user packaging needs, determine project scope, etc.
• Estimates all costs for packaging solutions including materials, manufacturing steps, and shipping requirements (e.g., optimal pallet load configuration).
• Maintains knowledge of the developments and trends in packaging for possible applications with the company’s present and future products.
• Seek out and works collaboratively with packaging material suppliers on packaging designs and material alternatives.
• Tests, analyzes, and selects materials for packaging based on durability, cost effectiveness, and shipping requirements
• Generates detailed test reports for customers.
• Troubleshoots problems with existing packaging components.
• Performs all other duties as assigned or needed.
• BS degree in packaging engineering, packaging science, or a related engineering relevant discipline plus 5-7 years in packaging engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge and technical competence in cushioning/protection of components and their assembly.
• Must be experienced in executing all associated technical tasks to support the packaging development process.
• Thorough understanding and application of ISTA and ASTM test standards and protocols.
• Experience in cold chain and/or medical component packaging requirements a strong plus.
• Proficiency in 3D CAD software including SolidWorks, ProE, and AutoCad as well as Master Cam.
• Computer skills and software including: Microsoft Word, Excel and Project.
Click here for more information.