Packaging Engineer, Cold Chain Project Manager – Bayer – Berkeley, CA, USA
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, agriculture and high-tech polymer materials. As an innovation company, it sets trends in research-intensive areas. Bayer’s products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. Bayer HealthCare (BHC), an Equal Opportunity Employer, makes an important contribution to human and animal health with its innovative products and by researching new therapeutic approaches promoting science for a better life throughout everything that we do. Our Divisions include Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Medical Care, Consumer Care and Animal Health. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Project Management
- Develop and execute project plans and manage appropriately to meet changing needs and requirements of Cold Chain Biotech supply and handling.
- Manage day to day aspects of projects and ensure timely completion of deliverables.
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support the business in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion. Provide valuable information related to the project status in a timely and effective manner
2. Cold Chain Management
- Lead the development, approval, and execution of cold chain shipping solutions to support world wide shipping and distribution of Biotech products through collaboration with QA, Compliance, and Validation personnel.
- Serve as technical expert for all aspects of cold chain packaging and shipping.
- Assess temperature protection requirements for BHC Biologics products and work cross-functionally to implement solutions. This would include managing the relationship with Cold Chain suppliers and inventory of materials at the distribution centers.
- Provide support for shipping validation activities. Drive Cold Chain Operational Excellence initiatives and lead implementation of enhanced processes and solutions.
- Assist in the resolution of in transit temperature discrepancies.
3. Transportation Management
- Determine appropriate modal requirements based on shipment size, weight, temperature requirement, and destination.
- Develop and manage cold chain distribution budget.
4. Continuous Improvement and Operational Excellence
- Collect, assemble, analyze freight cost data and make recommendations regarding air, parcel, ocean, and road freight options for both existing and new shipping solutions.
- Create reports and analyze transportation data obtained from various sources to improve performance.
- Develop, maintain, and improve Transportation processes across multiple functions and / or business units for all passive and active solutions for all Biotech products.
- Provide leadership, experience, and knowledge to diverse team consisting of middle and senior management. Technical expertise and management in implementing projects supporting customer initiatives in areas such as Cold Chain Distribution, Works on extremely complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables. Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance and oversee the activities of other lower level personnel.
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor degree in packaging engineering.
- 4 years of related experience or 8-10 years related experience in a regulated export customer operations environment.
- Demonstrated Cold Chain and International Transportation industry knowledge will be required.
- Experience with Change Management in a GMP environment
- Strong written and verbal communications skills are required, with a high level of professionalism in dealing with the scope of a global customer base.
- Ability to proactively and independently develop and implement solutions for Cold Chain Distribution.
- Must be flexible, innovative, persistent and committed to the successful completion of their assignments.
- Proficiency in negotiations and technical problem solving and decision making
- Ability to interact with various departments, divisions, and vendors to resolve issues and achieve goals.
- Ability to work with people of varying cultural and socio- economic backgrounds.
- Ability to influence others and to develop relationships
- Demonstrated process innovation skills and ability to manage data
- A working knowledge of materials requirements planning and computer information systems