Packaging Engineer 2 – Illumina, Inc. – San Diego, CA, USA
The Packaging Engineer 2 will work with Illumina Manufacturing, Marketing, Graphic Design, Customer Service, Quality Assurance, Regulatory, Field Service and Legal departments to develop optimized and environmentally responsible packaging for all Illumina products. They will develop new product packaging based on unique requirements and maintain quality of existing packages for all product groups (encompassing instruments and consumables). This position is responsible for designing, sourcing, qualifying and releasing product packaging materials, shipping containers and product labels. Additionally, they will determine packaging requirements according to the nature of the product, cost limitations, legal requirements and the type of product protection required ; taking into consideration the need for resistance to external variables. Finally , they will work cross-functionally to ensure product labeling is compliant with regulatory and country specific requirements.
All About You
Position requires the following:
- Work cross-functionally on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Acquire and maintain a clear understanding of the technologies utilized in Illumina’s products, parts, and services.
- Team member on project teams responsible for developing package systems.
- Design and select primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components and suppliers.
- Write specifications and technical protocols/reports for primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components and associated qualifications and/or validations.
- Coordinate artwork/labeling development.
- Interface with internal teams and external suppliers to conduct packaging testing (including shipping validations) of packaging materials and packaged components.
- Develop and implement applicable procedures and work instructions for development aspects of packaging.
- Develop cold chain management systems including qualification and specifications.
- Other duties as assigned by the department manager.All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities
• Must be proficient with PC applications including word documents and spreadsheets.
• Must have ability to analyze and troubleshoot issues.
• Effective verbal and written English communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills are a must.
• Ability to interface well with cross-functional teammates is critical to success in this position.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Packaging Engineering or related discipline.