Manager, US Imports and Exports – Biogen – Cambridge, MA, USA
Biogen is experiencing significant growth in the global market place across our highly complex portfolio of products. Given the demand and our pursuit of innovation, there is a need for additional Trade and Logistics expertise reporting in to the NA Commercial Logistics team based in Cambridge, MA.
The role is intended to manage Biogen’s US Import Program. The incumbent is expected stay current in US Trade Laws and Customs Regulations as well as Biogen’s internal standard. Responsible for ensuring shipments comply with federal and foreign regulations.
The successful candidate will as necessary:
- Write/update and maintain policies and procedures related to management of US imports
- Develop and manage broker Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). Manage performance and relationship with external broker. Provide broker clearance instructions and required documentation for imports for Biogen.
- Assign the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) product codes and FDA codes required for importation of products and shipments.
- May oversee and manage work completed by contract staff
- Respond to internal customers and external suppliers on requests for proper classification, Country of Origin and customs valuation.
- Work with Compliance Manager to negotiate fees and approve payments of invoices from US Customs, government agencies, and brokers.
- Assist Biogen personnel in completing applications to obtain required import/export permits, i.e. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Disease Control (CDC), etc.
- Responsible for maintaining current certifications/Permits: bond, FDA, F&W, USDA as well as annual renewal
- Leverage the Global Supply Chain systems/technology (e.g., ERP System, Trackwise) required to execute job functions.
- Transparently surfaces network issues, resolving network conflicts and identifying long term capabilities and strategies to optimize business value.
- Effectively manage logistics, order-to-cash and compliance activities to ensure sustainable supply and optimize the overall logistics costs.
- LI-POT1 Location Cambridge, MA, US Job Category Supply Chain, Global Operations Requisition Number 27197BR Qualifications 1) A current U.S. CBP issued Customs Broker License is highly desirable. 2) Ideal candidate will have 5-7 years relevant industry experience, including controlled temperature (cold-chain) logistics of cGMP regulated materials. 3) Solid knowledge of customs regulations including knowledge of drawbacks, HTS classification Temporary Import Under Bond (TIB) requirements, royalties and assists 4) Excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills 5) Strong customer focus including timely follow up and sense of urgency Education Bachelor’s degree preferred. About Biogen Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) is a biotechnology leader that discovers, develops and delivers innovative therapies to improve the lives of patients with neurodegenerative diseases, hematologic conditions and autoimmune diseases. Patients worldwide benefit every day from our medicines for multiple sclerosis (MS) and hemophilia. Founded in 1978, Biogen is one of the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Our development pipeline is focused on areas of high unmet medical need, as we pursue new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with few or no treatment options. These include programs for secondary progressive MS, Alzheimer’s Disease, spinal muscular atrophy, lupus and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), amongst others. With more than 7,500 people worldwide, Biogen is truly a global organization. We are headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is home to our research operations. Our international operations are based in Zug, Switzerland and we have world-class manufacturing facilities in North Carolina and Denmark. We offer therapies globally through direct affiliate presence in 30 countries and a network of distribution partners in over 50 additional countries. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Please be advised that all legitimate correspondence from a Biogen employee will come from “@biogen.com” email accounts.