Lab Manager – Lifoam – Belcamp, MD, USA
Responsibilities As a leader on the R&D team, the Lab Manager ensures successful operation of the Center of Excellence located in Belcamp, Maryland. The individual will play a key role in the organization by creating a positive environment for East Coast customers and Jarden Life Sciences sales team to find cost effective packaging solutions. The Belcamp test lab will serve as a highly-efficient test lab with fast throughput of testing projects, but also as a showcase for our innovation and new products.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
1. Manage the operation and upkeep of the thermal testing lab.
a. Maintain schedule of thermal testing for key customers and internal research projects.
b. Provide regular updates to customers, sales reps, and corporate headquarters .
c. Create and update detailed timelines for the completion of thermal testing projects.
d. Publish test results through email, presentations, and final reports.
e. Remain current on technology through research and training.
f. Manage the budget of the lab including materials and maintenance.
g. Obtain and sustain ISTA certification of the thermal test lab.
2. Supervise on-site staff of engineers and technicians.
a. Manage the day-to-day activities for one or more staff.
b. Conduct performance reviews and set annual goals
c. Develop and train engineers to be future leaders in the organization.
d. Create career development plans within the lab staff.
3. Take actions to ensure a high-quality lab that generates repeatable and trustworthy data.
a. Prepare lab for customer audits, work with quality department to ensure excellent results.
b. Develop and execute validation plans for testing equipment.
c. Identify opportunities for continuous improvement within lab documentation and practices.
d. Develop innovative methods to conduct testing using limited resources.
4. Be a leader in the organization.
a. Take a leadership role and model key success behaviors of communication, teamwork, accountability, and results-focus.
b. Raise level of understanding across organization of our innovation possibilities.
c. Be an advocate for diversity, for creating culture of winning, and for compliance with key processes used to govern the business.
5. Live the company values on a daily basis.
6. Pose no direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, or other or to property. Defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
7. Perform such individual assignments as management may direct.
8. Establish and maintain, as stated above, effective working relationships within the department, the corporation and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering, Quantitative Analysis or equivalent. Significant and applicable work experience can be considered in lieu of four-year degree.
Requires at least 5+ years of prior experience in lab management with a track record of advancement
Package testing knowledge is preferred. This role is specific to our Thermal packaging product line.
ISTA CTP and/or CPLP certifications are preferred.
TECHNICAL ROLE COMPETENCIES:
- Manage thermal testing chambers including calibration and validation plans.
- Work well with external contacts, be comfortable reviewing testing plans and communicating directly with key customers and suppliers.
- Lead the justification and execution of lab expansion including additional test chambers and a broader scope of package testing capabilities.
- Results orientation and high degree of initiative, follow-through, and accountability. Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity.
- Ability to utilize various personal computer programs within a LAN environment, including SolidWorks, MS Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SAP.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, as well as to analyze problems and make independent judgments to initiate corrective action and resolution.
- Proficiency in statistical / 6-Sigma techniques to drive optimization and problem resolution. Experience with designing and conducting DOE plans.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration capabilities.
- Strong task and detail orientation, awareness of urgency in communication, while displaying diplomacy in day-to-day interactions.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written. Must also develop and deliver high-impact presentations at Senior Management level.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Sitting at workstation approximately 70 percent of work time. Standing and walking approximately 30 percent of work time.
- Must be able to travel 20 percent of work time.
- Ability to work overtime or occasionally on weekends with short notice.
- Typical office environment with shelves overhead and above work surfaces.
Equal Employment Opportunity We participate in E-Verify