Head of US Distribution and Logistics (SR DIR level) – Shire – Lexington, MA, USA
This position oversees the North America Supply Chain for commercial operations including customer service, transportation management, logistics, and controlled temperature distribution for Shire’s rare disease, biologic and specialty product lines within the US. The leader is the US point person on developing, implementing and maintaining seamless product movement and order fulfilment globally with Shire colleagues around the world.
The Sr. Director is responsible for the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of systems and processes that will allow area managers to coordinate activities in order to meet inventory targets, execute new product launches and new product SKU’s, and ensure the integrity and security of Shire’s Supply Chain. The role will be responsible for the global controlled temperature management of our products within the US and assure a seamless process for worldwide distribution.
In addition, the Sr. Director will support the development and execution of the US Supply Chain strategy.
The D&L leader is responsible for management and maintenance of Shires physical and 3PL distribution centres within the US. This includes our key distribution center which handles controlled substances, ePedigree, export shipments and serialization controls.
The organization is responsible for design and management of all cold chain WIP goods across multiple sites and countries. Management of these supply lanes requires attention to detail and alignment with numerous groups across Technical Operations to assure high value materials are properly located across the supply network.
The role requires all systems coordinate across Shire’s EPM system properly allowing for proper track and trace of physical and financial materials.
The role will be an integral part of the US Supply Chain leadership team.
25% Development of a robust, sustainable, scalable organization with clear processes and capabilities that work directly with their international supply chain counterparts assuring continuous supply of product to our patients.
25% Oversee the implementation of industry best practices to ensure the integrity, security and efficiency of Shire’s Supply Chain. (25%)
10% Ensure global trade compliance practices are properly in effect across all product distribution. Assure leadership position is taken from within D&L supporting corporate management/functions (10%)
10% Understand and assure proper execution of cold chain custody through product delivery to our internal customers and our patients. (10%)
10% Oversees third party performances including contract and communication for distribution, transportation, and cold chain vendors. (10%)
10% Oversees US Customer Service operations (10%)
10% Ensure timely development of robust and efficient product supply lanes for all future products. (10%)
Education and Experience Requirements
• BS minimum in a scientific or global supply chain field.
• MBA highly preferred
• Minimum 15 years experience in Customer Service, Distribution, Logistics, Transportation, Material Planning, Warehouse, or general supply chain areas. A minimum of 10 years experience working with cold chain/controlled temperature products.
• Minimum of 7+ years managing Supply Chain operations and personnel
• Understanding of ERP systems and processes (SAP preferred) a must.
• APICS certification or demonstrated hands on equivalent a must.
• Strong understanding of Pharmaceutical or Biologics cGDP requirements
• Experience with import/export permitting and Global Trade Compliance requirements.
• DEA/Controlled substance handling experience a plus.
• Demonstrated escalating responsibility levels within a Global Supply Chain organization.
Other Job Requirements
Up to 15% travel required
Shire’s Brave culture offers employees with diverse backgrounds the opportunity to enable those with life altering conditions to lead better lives.