Director, Trade & Specialty Channels, NA Commercial Operations – Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical – Brisbane, CA, USA
As a key member of our NA commercial team, the Director, Trade & Specialty Channels manages and ensures seamless delivery of product to patients. The Director proactively designs distribution channel strategies that meet the needs of patients and caregivers. The person is responsible for development of product level channel distribution networks that ensure reliable, safe, efficient and timely delivery of therapies to our patients through distribution partners & networks designed to meet the unique need our patients & caregivers and in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Develops & implements channel strategies that are configured to meet the needs of our patients, caregivers, payors, and distribution partners.
- Determines product level distribution strategies for our therapies. Evaluates capabilities and selects in collaboration with cross-functional launch teams the appropriate specialty distributer, specialty pharmacy network, and home health partners to support our patient’s needs.
- Actively manages ongoing partners and proactively adjusts as needed to ensure peak service level performance to meet our patients needs.
- Conducts site of care needs assessment and designs and implements safe, reliable, and efficient solutions and partnerships.
- Seeks feedback and input from internal & external stakeholders in the design and configuration recommendations.
- Develops & negotiates bona fide service agreements with channel partners based on needs: including data agreements, compliance and persistence programs, injection training, and home health nurses.
- Works closely with legal, compliance and finance to ensure programs are based on best patient care, are compliant and fair market value assessments conducted.
- Manages downstream inventory management (Ex 3PL) and reporting thru the specialty distribution channel.
- Establishes PAP Pharmacy in collaboration with key internal stakeholders.
- Develops and actively manages returns goods and product replacement policy.
- 10 plus years of Biotech/pharmaceutical Trade and Distribution experience working with specialty pharmaceuticals and rare diseases.
- Strong knowledge of Cold Chain & Oral delivery models from 3PL, Specialty Distribution, Specialty Pharmacy, and therapies that are physician administered as well as self-administered.
- Recent product launch experience having designed and implemented end to end product to patient distribution and site of care delivery models for high touch patient support.
- Must have built a distribution channel strategy from the ground up for a rare disease therapy.
- Broad distribution experience from small molecules to cold chain biologics.
- Established and managed specialty pharmacy networks and contracted for bona fide services to support compliance and persistence to therapies, injection training, and home health nurse support.
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to communicate effectively with people individually and groups: ability to communicate with technical and non-technical colleagues; experience establishing and maintaining effective relationships across departments.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
- Demonstrated contract negotiation skills. Strong analytical, strategic and influencing skills.