Director, Logistics – Meso Scale Diagnostics – Rockville, MD, USA
The Director, Logistics is responsible for maintaining daily shipping operations. This includes developing and maintaining packing, shipping and receiving procedures to maximize efficiency. The incumbent will be accountable for maintaining daily shipping and receiving operations methods to minimize costs and maximize customer satisfaction. The incumbent will be responsible for appropriate training and safety procedures for the department as outlined in the company guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Production Planning:
o Create and maintain schedule for outbound logistics.
o Monitor and react to daily shipping and receiving issues.
o Review and manage packaging requirements based on delivery times and dates.
o Root cause analysis of delays / resolutions.
o Develop and maintain shipping policies, procedures, 5S efficiencies and training guidelines.
o Supervise shipping team, coordinate work schedules, product movement schedules between buildings.
o Oversee VDOT regulations for MSD delivery truck. Maintain records for approved drivers and perform training review and procedures.
o Develop risk management programs to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios.
- Customer Services:
o Monitor and resolve shipping and receiving customer complaint issues.
o Interdepartmental collaboration for customer support.
- Vendor Management:
o Build and foster solid vendor relations.
o Participate in carrier management processes, such as selection, qualification, or performance evaluation.
o Manage special projects as the need arises.
Specific duties will vary depending upon departmental requirements
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics or related field required.
o Additional experience may be substituted for degree.
- Cold chain logistics experience required.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in Production Planning / Logistics, preferably in Bio-Tech sector.
- Experience with ERP / MRP system management
o JD Edwards software preferred
- Experience in a GMP, ISO Certified environment is preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong logistics fundamentals and analytical background.
o Logical problem solving and demonstrated ability to organize and move project tasks forward in an orderly and structured fashion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, production methods and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for moving goods to include relative costs and benefits.
o Demonstrate working knowledge of cGMP and ISO.
o Articulate experience with developing, implementing and maintaining production planning compliance.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of biological goods.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal motivation skills.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite; specifically MS Excel.
- Warehouse management.
- Fork lift experience preferred.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected including the ability to multi-task and work productively in a demanding research environment with changing priorities.
- This position requires the ability to communicate and exchange information, utilize equipment necessary to perform the job and move about the office and warehouse.
- This position is performed in numerous environments, ranging from traditional manufacturing office environment, manufacturing warehouse environment, and light manufacturing space.