Director, Distribution & Logistics – Straumann – Andover, MA, USA
Director, Distribution & Logistics Management, is responsible for managing the overall distribution logistics operations strategy for Straumann and Instradent in North America. The individual will be expected to bring the distribution and logistics operation to the next level – including planning, layout and design, receiving, slotting and put-away, order picking, cold chain and climate chain management, back order management and shipping.
The position will work in close collaboration with other departments and drive supply chain processes – i.e., Demand Planning, Supply Planning and Management, Transportation, Customer Service, and Sales. Candidate must be well rounded in employee relations, staff development, distribution process improvement and multiply unit operation.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for all NAM distribution operations regarding inventory planning, procurement, import, warehousing, inbound & outbound transportation, export as well as reverse logistics (return & recall management), re-labeling, re-packaging & destructions management.
- Assessing existing and future requirements of the organization in determining the optimal logistic strategy and warehouse footprint.
- Oversee and manage logistic systems, procedures, and trainings
- Use data from IT systems to evaluate periodic performance, quality to plan improvements
- Partner with Headquarter logistic supply chain group to establish global supply chain strategy and coordinates US and Canadian logistic operations
- Ensure supply chain strategies and goals are aligned with North American sales initiatives
- Manage bottlenecks, drive resolution, coordinate escalation on a local and global level
- Participate in projects, meetings, target resolutions
- Manage the relationship with 3rd party returns logistics provider ensuring policies are established and being enforced
- Minimize errors in outbound shipping.
- Ensure the stock cycle counting and physical inventory activities are performed according to guidelines, procedures, F&A planning and statutory closing calendar.
- Management of Repairs Operations process (Reverse Logistics)
- Create and maintain efficient, sustainable processes to optimize the returns process
- Develop reporting and management tools to bring visibility to the root causes of return, ensure policy adherence, and drive cost saving, and customer satisfaction
- Develop and maintain the relevant control activities in an ISO certified and FDA regulated medical device distribution environment.
- Manage 3rd party supplier management/relationships.
- Partners with NAM Product Management to ensure adequate inventory levels at product launch and throughout product lifecycle.
- Leads continuous improvement program and tracks performance
- Third party procurement management (COGS budget)
- Manage 3rd party carrier relationship.
- People leader who builds a sustainable, highly skilled team of individual contributors and managers through exemplary modeling of accountability, thought leadership, formal training, coaching, and mentorship.
- Specifies input, in-process and output metrics, scorecards and KPIs to ensure success tracking.
- Maintains internal and external knowledge of best practices and tools provides internal and external benchmarking.
- Supervises staff to include hiring, training, evaluating performance, providing compensation recommendations, and determining disciplinary actions when necessary.
- 10+ years supply chain experience with a demonstrated emphasis on demand planning and forecasting in a global organization and working with employees, vendors and complicated processes and procedures.
- 5+ years of experience managing employees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Business Management or related field.
- MS or advance degree in business or supply chain.
- Lean and Six Sigma experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated successful progression of leadership roles and responsibilities.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of end to end supply chain management including MRP, DRP, ERP, forecasting, inventory management.
- Experience in working with SAP MM/SD experience.
- Experience in working in a fast-paced FDA/ISO regulated environment.
- Excellent and proactive communication skills.
- Cultivate a broad network of relationships with key internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to drive change and influence supply chain and key stakeholders in a global and matrix organization environment.
- Medical device or related industry experience is an advantage.
- Ability to meet aggressive deadlines, manage multiple projects and locations simultaneously and to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, individual and team-oriented work environment
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, able to engage and influence team and external partners
- Proven Project Management Experience
- Strong ability to create management reporting to detail current status and future plans
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and effectively under extreme time constraints and deliver results by critical deadlines
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- No special physical demands required.