Design Engineer – Hearthmark – Fishers, IN, USA
The Design Engineer is responsible for the development of new cold chain packaging products and improvements to existing products through the application of engineering principles, techniques and internal processes. Utilizing technical knowledge gained via academic and hands on experience, the Design Engineer is expected to execute a variety of functions. This includes, but is not limited to 3D design, materials selection, root cause analysis and managing corrective action. All of which require logical reasoning to identify SWOT for complex problems and to implement robust solutions. The Design Engineer is responsible for developing models, tests and simulations which optimize product design and quality. A focus towards innovation is a must to establish intellectual property protection.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Works with Project Engineers and Thermal Packaging Engineers to provide CAD, and initial pack-out recommendations
- Develops unique solutions (dividers, gel sleeves etc.) to solve problems within the constraints of a current shipper solution
- Creates new shippers for customers on projects that require custom solutions – follows design principles that align with Innovation projects.
- Optimizes design solutions for lowest delivered cost per liter of payload.
- Creates 3D CAD renderings of shippers needed for specification sheets and documentation
- Incorporates design for manufacturing processes to create innovative solutions which are easy and profitable to manufacture.
- Coordinates with Thermal Packaging Engineers on any change needed during thermal modeling.
- Works with the testing lab personnel to problem solve on any pack-out deviations
- Works with Finance and Sales to establish standard costs and sale prices.
- Coordinates with 3rd party design firms, vendors and suppliers to drive concept generation and project goals.
- Assesses consumer research and project goals to create set of technical criteria to drive project forward.
- Employ a systematic approach to problem solving using quantifiable data and mathematics.
- Use a disciplined approach to store technical data in a well-organized, searchable database.
- Creates BOM and specifications for new products.
- Stays up to date with the latest Cold Chain packaging trends and understands customer pain points.
- Translate technical information into straightforward language and communicate to cross functional teams and Upper Management.
- Self-driven to manage timelines and priorities, while executing project tasks as needed by Management.
- Pose no direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, of others, or to property. Defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the Corporation and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
Supervise Others: No
Bachelor of Science Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Engineering, or similar.
- 2-5 years of experience, preferably in pharmaceutical and/or cold chain packaging
- Knowledge of ISTA testing standards, both Thermal and Physical
- Advanced capabilities with SolidWorks 3D modeling and 2D drawings
- Working experience with a wide variety of materials including EPS, PUR, VIP, Plastics and Refrigerants.
- Strong thermodynamics background and able to apply thermodynamic mathematics to real life situations to drive solutions
- Ability to translate designs to a cross functional team and work with PM, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Logistics and Supply on commercializing designed solutions.
- Knowledge of molding practices and design for manufacturing
- Strong aptitude to work independently on creating innovative designs with little guidance
- Knowledge of Thermal Modeling is desired
- Experience with mold flow analysis in both PUR and EPS is desired
- Logical and ‘out of the box’ type thinker, with creative problem solving abilities.
- Strong leadership tendencies and can lead a team, driving a project through a vision to a solution that creates value for the company.
- Capacity to work independently and handle multiple projects at one time with a focus on priorities.
- Employ statistics and mathematics methods to qualify decisions.
- Familiar with stage gate product development process.
- ISTA CTP and/or IOPP CPP are desirable.
- Cold chain packaging for temperature-sensitive products
TECHNICAL ROLE COMPETENCIES:
- Prior experience with Six Sigma
- Statistical Modeling Software (MiniTab or similar)
- Well-Versed in MS Office and MS Project
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Sitting at workstation approximately 55 percent of work time. Standing and walking approximately 45 percent of work time.
- Must be able to travel 10 percent of work time – International and domestic travel.
- Ability to work overtime or occasionally on weekends with short notice.
- Typical office and Laboratory environment with shelves overhead and above work surfaces.
Equal Employment Opportunity