CAD Technician – Lifoam Industries, LLC – Belcamp, MD, USA
Lifoam is a leading manufacturer of custom and proprietary molded foam and protective packaging solutions. The company designs, manufactures, and distributes value added expanded polystyrene (EPS), polyurethane, and refrigerant products used in a number of applications from seven plants in the US. The company’s products include premium temperature assurance packaging for the healthcare industry, disposable foam coolers and related products for the consumer market, cold chain packaging for the specialty food & beverage market, and custom & proprietary packaging solutions for a variety of commercial end markets. Its well-known brands include “Lifoam” promotional and imprinted disposable ice chests, “Freez Pak” reusable ice substitutes, “Propak” insulated commercial packaging, and the “EnviroCooler” line of Healthcare packaging, among others.
Since 2013, Lifoam is part of Jarden Home Brands, a subsidiary of Jarden Corporation (NYSE: JAH), a leading provider of niche consumer products, with over 25,000 employees worldwide
Primary Purpose of Position:
3D CAD technician/operator/designer has responsibility for a variety of manufacturing and industrial design and drafting activities, including preparing/updating layout, assembly and part models and drawings for projects/products. Additionally, this position will participate in and conform to guidelines and procedures for CAD development, document management, and manage workload distribution within the CAD department. Other duties to be performed as assigned.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Transforms initial rough product designs using computer aided design (CAD) into working models, templates and documents for products, components and systems.
- Responsible for drafting requirements, to include development, accuracy and revision control for engineering drawings and designs, while ensuring adherence to established specifications and standards.
- Execute Engineering Change Process and controlled document processing up to date and accurate.
- Applies engineering or architectural principles to the design of process systems and flow, associated layouts, product renderings, components and sub-assemblies.
- Calculates dimensions of new products, product enhancements or systems and estimates material needed, assuring appropriate fitment and finish of all components.
- Serves as an information and report generating resource to develop and utilize designs, processes, specifications, planning, and or estimates of materials and time needed for projects.
- Develops models and drawings of outer designs of products, complementing engineering, marketing, production, development and sales departments.
- Responsible for resolving associated mechanical, assembly and/or fabrication problems.
- Reviews blueprints, plans, specifications and other customer and supplier documentation, as required.
- Works with Director of Engineering on guidelines for process, product and assembly drawings to meet or exceed the customer requirements for customer (bids, submittals and approvals).
- Maintain all notes, design calculations and other record documentation (as drawings, bills of materials, design parameters, DOEs, and performance guarantees) and store in designated shared locations.
- Other duties as required relating to CAD database maintenance, PDM, FMEA, testing and lab support, document management, etc.
Education: Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a related technical area with CAD competence or completion of a technical trade school for CAD and drafting with CAD certification, OR equivalent experience.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. (required)
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (desired)
- Part modeling and detailing experience using SolidWorks Parametric software (desired).
- Experience using SolidWorks 3D design software (required).
- Experience in part, assembly and floor plan layout for industrial construction projects (preferred).
- Experience in equipment/plant layout relating to wastewater treatment facilities. (preferred)
Certifications/Licenses/Registrations: Manufacturing, CAD or Drafting Association Membership, Lean or Six Sigma Certification.
- CAD/Drafting certification and 5 years’ experience, or
- Associate’s degree in a related area and 2-4 years of CAD / drafting experience, or
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area and 1-2 years of CAD / drafting experience.
TECHNICAL ROLE COMPETENCIES:
- Familiar with a variety of technical concepts, practices, and procedures within a manufacturing environment with knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures for manufacturing, engineering, CAD modeling and drafting. (required)
- Relies on experience, training, knowledge and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Multitasking discipline – Capable of simultaneously balancing and accomplishing of a variety of tasks.
- Must interact well with others both directly (face to face) and remotely within a multi-cultural / multi-discipline shared work environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Sitting at workstation >=75% of work time. Standing and walking approximately < 25% of work time. Lifting =25 lbs. < 5% of work time
- Position requires typing skills and good hand-eye coordination
- Must be able to travel 10-15 percent of work time.
- Ability to work overtime or occasionally on weekends with short notice.
- Typical office environment with shelves overhead and above work surfaces.