Associate Director, Engineering Job – Merck – West Point, PA, USA
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The basic function of this position is to design and implement varied technical projects requiring knowledge of packaging including temperature control packaging technology and distribution testing. Work requires full application of sound scientific principles, theories, concepts and techniques. The candidate is expected to collect and interpret information and conceive, develop and implement solutions to cold chain and distribution related projects. Routine guidance and direction is employed by the supervisor to review soundness of technical judgment and the status/schedule of the effort.
The candidate is responsible by assignment for the:
• Leading the development, design, construction, qualification and/or initial operation of tertiary packaging components and processes, including environmental (temperature, shock, etc.) monitors, using new or existing technologies for new and commercial human health products including active pharmaceutical ingredients, drug substance, drug product, finished goods and samples.
• Analysis of complex problems through critical analytical thinking and the design/execution of laboratory experiments to design/develop appropriate temperature control and distribution solutions.
• Leading and/or assisting cross functional teams evaluating processes, procedures, and shipping system performance for resolving excursion issues and implementing corrective actions
• Providing subject matter expert guidance to other functions at Merck and MSD as well as to mentor/coach other engineers and functions.
• In close collaboration with other stakeholders, develop regional based strategies and solutions for temperature controlled movement of products.
• Development of sound scientific justification for planned material and process changes related to secondary and tertiary packaging.
• Development working relationship with global Merck and MSD functions, external manufacturing and third party distribution centers, with whom Merck and MSD interfaces.
• Documentation preparation, maintenance, and review of documentation including testing protocols, testing reports, technical memo and supplier assessments.
Education Minimum Requirement:
Bachelor degree in Packaging, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or similar
Required Experience and Skills:
Experience in packaging design and/or temperature control technologies. Interpersonal and leadership skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
Experience and knowledge of the Pharmaceutical environment. Proven project leadership/ management and complex problem solving skills. Ability to determine areas of potential risk to business success and generate gap analysis. Good interpersonal skills including flexibility and ability to work in a team environment. Good written and verbal communication skills
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Packaging Engineering
Job Title: Assoc. Dir, Engineering
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck